Thursday, February 11, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 3: Page 23: Line 33 (318)

 "This doesn't seem," Lindsay adrift between fascination and disbelief, "quite . . . authentic, somehow."

* * * * * * * * * *

This is Lindsay reacting to the obviously non-Tungus women implying that the boys will find Tungus having sex with reindeer if they enter to see the exhibit. Hopefully for Lindsay's sake (because I'll judge him harshly otherwise), "disgust" lies somewhere between "fascination and disbelief." If it doesn't, it sounds like Lindsay wants to see the Reindeer Show and the only thing holding him back is that it might not be an authentic cultural experience. Although I get that too because I wouldn't walk out of a Tijuana Donkey Show. I also wouldn't walk into one. But if I was in some bar and the DJ suddenly said, "Y ahora, para tu placer . . . ¡una mujer se follará a un burro!", I wouldn't leave. Mostly because I don't speak Spanish and would have no idea what was about to happen. "Did the DJ just say a woman is going to come out and make a burrito?" Then the show would start and I would say, "Oh. Now I understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment