Friday, March 5, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 4: Page 30: Line 86-87 (458-459)

 "Nah, we're partners in crime, from back in the olden days in Connecticut, long before your time, fellows, I used to do some tinkering for him now and then. Don't suppose one of you boys could get a snap of us together?"

* * * * * * * * * *

"olden days"
Imagine living in 1893 and thinking you're not currently in the olden days! Ha ha! So funny!

"Connecticut"
That's where Yale is located, in a place called New Haven. "New Haven" sounds exactly like the sort of place a college like Yale would develop. That's a criticism of both the name "New Haven" and "Yale." I just wanted to make that clear! It sounds like the kind of place a bunch of white supremacists who don't think they're white supremacists would establish. A place created by people "known to have done evil while saying to themselves, 'A very good me, the real me, a me made in heaven, is hidden deep inside.'" That's a quote from Kurt Vonnegut's Mother Night and it aptly describes the kind of people I would expect to meet in "New Haven." It's also probably pretty apt for the kind of people I meet who say, "I went to Yale!"
    "New Haven" also kind of sounds like "Heaven" which makes sense because Randolph is an angel and his "leader" is probably God. Or, I don't know, The Wandering Jew?

"I used to do some tinkering"
I've never tinkered. I don't know my way around anything mechanical. My dad is probably ashamed of me.

"one of you boys could get a snap of us together"
Since this picture will be taken in 1893, it's automatically an old timey photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment