Friday, March 5, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 4: Page 30: Line 84 (456)

 "Still up to no good," Merle beamed.

* * * * * * * * * *

Ugh. Merle is one of these guys? So proud to be a thorn in the side of everybody! "Look at me! I'm rebelling against society's norms and standards! I'm the wolf and you're all the sheep! 'Baa baa!' goes not me! Ha ha!"

It's not that I have a problem with Merle being up to no good! It's the "beaming" with which I take issue! I totally agree that we should all be rebelling against society's norms and standards. It's the only sane choice of the individual. For what is an individual if not rebelling against the status quo? They are certainly not themselves. Although you can take it too far and simply be rebelling to rebel which means you're just as manipulated by society as if you were participating. And at that point, why not just go along with everything? At least you'll feel more comfortable (although full of self-loathing, probably. But who isn't already full of that anyway?!). I just mean you should be yourself even if it means people are going to stare at you on the street and whisper rude things to the other idiot next to them!

If I were Merle, this sentence would have gone like this:

"Still up to no good," Merle said through gritted teeth and a heavy sigh, his shoulders stooped by the weight of trying to slog through a society created long before he was conceived in which he had never asked to be born, the constant specter of suicidal peace hovering ever at the periphery of his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment