Monday, April 5, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 5: Page 38: Lines 54-55 (636-637)

 "But what are they saying I did? I swear, Troth, I can't remember."

* * * * * * * * * *

What are they saying Lew did, but more importantly, why the hell does Troth believe them?! She obviously doesn't have first hand experience of Lew's "sin" or else she wouldn't have rushed off to stop him only to be convinced of his guilt by the steady clicking of the train along the tracks.

Although this does still read like a woman feeling spurned after realizing, after all the rumor and her reassessing of the evidence of her life, that her husband is gay.

I suppose the whole point of this section is to get the reader to speculate like crazy and to eventually accept what everybody else has also accepted: Lew Basnight is a terribly depraved man! I'm practically siding with Troth and Wensleydale myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment