Monday, December 5, 2022

Chapter 1: Section 6: Page 52: Lines 138-139 (931-932)

 "I'll be gone by then. They're sending me west, fellows, and I guess it's so long."

* * * * * * * * * *

Lew's lighting out for the Territory. It's against his will but wasn't it, technically and historically, against almost everybody's will to light out for the Territory? I'm not saying it wasn't a choice but, I mean, was it really?! Leaving civilization and everything you knew to make your way into the chaos of the unknown? Gotta be a lot more to it than Free Will. Like that family in The VVitch. Not only did they "light out for the Territory" from England because their religious beliefs basically forced them out but then they lighted out for an even further Territory when they were banished from town. Forces conspire to drive people westward which often means those driven westward are the best of the bunch because the status quo was their only enemy and chaos, their only friend.

Anyway, that's my belief, being from the West Coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment