Saturday, March 20, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 4: Page 34: Line 195 (567)

 "Come now, Professor," boomed Foley Walker, holding a hotel whiskey decanter as if he meant to drink from it, "to the nearest million or so, just a rough guess?"

* * * * * * * * * *

I've never been in a penthouse suite doing a major business deal so I don't know if it's common to have one side's muscle intimidate the other side into throwing out a price. I was in a meeting once for my business with a client and we were negotiating new prices based on increasing the amount of store cleanings they'd get each month. The owner of the stores wanted to increase to twice monthly one store that I cleaned monthly for $125. So I said nervously, not really having thought about it, "One hundred per visit, I guess?" He looked at me and said, "How about $120?" And I was all, "Sure. Thanks for looking out for me and probably realizing I would resent doing it for so much less and begin not doing as good a job as I'd previously been doing!"

So now you know how terrible I am at business. I'm so terrible that the person I'm negotiating against pities me and helps me fight for better pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment