Thursday, March 18, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 4: Page 33: Lines 160-161 (532-533)

 "Something missing. He used to get so fired up about everything—we'd be designing something, run out of paper, he'd take his shirt collar off and just use that to scribble on."

* * * * * * * * * *

"Something missing"
It's probably innocence. Whenever something suddenly goes missing, it's innocence. I think I learned that from S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders.

"we'd be designing something, run out of paper"
I bet there was a paper shortage in 1893. It probably came on the heels of the repeal of the Sherman Silver Purchase Act and the plummet of silver prices. I would research it but I know when my speculating isn't worth the shirt collar it's written on.

"he'd take his shirt collar off"
Remember when shirt collars weren't actually part of your shirt? What kind of wacky system is that?! Maybe there wouldn't have been a paper shortage if they hadn't been using all their stiff paper for shirt collars? 

No comments:

Post a Comment