Thursday, March 11, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 4: Page 31: Line 115 (487)

 "Say," it occurred to a large and criminal-looking individual who had been whittling an image of a locomotive from a piece of firewood with one of those knives known throughout prisons of our land as an Arkansas toothpick, "you're not of the vegetarian persuasion, I hope."

* * * * * * * * * *

"whittling an image of a locomotive from a piece of firewood"
Now we know this criminal-looking individual is skilled with a knife. And artistic. Two great qualities that go great together if you're a psychopathic torturer. Not that I think this guy is that! My mother always said, "You can't judge a book by its cover unless the cover is of a Middle Eastern person and then maybe you can judge it a bit." My mother isn't perfect.
    Here's a quick look at some of my mother's thought processes. Every Middle Eastern person she's ever known personally, she absolutely adores. And yet she still admits to being prejudiced against Middle Eastern people. She's so close to understanding systemic and cultural bias propagated by the media and societal stereotypes! If only she had the self-esteem to trust her own personal experiences over propaganda and gossip!

"Arkansas toothpick"
I almost didn't research this term because I figured, "If it's known in prisons, it must be a shiv of some sort!" But then I looked it up and was surprised to find it's the term for a pretty hefty dagger, coined because people were known to pick their teeth with blades. Because when you've got some small bit of whatnot between two of your teeth, what better way to remove it than by shoving a long sharp blade inside of your face?

Imagine how many teeth were picked clean by this! And how many tongues lacerated!

"you're not of the vegetarian persuasion, I hope"
What an odd thing for a criminal-looking individual to say. My first thought is that he plans on feeding parts of Heino Vanderjuice to himself. And he wouldn't want to betray the man's ethics by doing so. My second thought is that he's probably the chef and he's prepared a nice roast for the meeting. My third thought is that he probably fucked the roast before preparing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment