Thursday, March 11, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 4: Page 31-32: Line 118-120 (490-492)

 "Bet you there's even guests known to catch insomnia from it, eh? but there's equally as many find it strangely soothing. No different here at the Palmer House, if you think about it. Racket level runs about the same."

* * * * * * * * * *

"guests known to catch insomnia from it"
I wouldn't define "some asshole playing guitar until 3 AM kept me up all night" as insomnia. I'd classify that as somebody needing an immediate ass kicking. I suppose the "inability to sleep" part of the definition doesn't really qualify the reasons for that inability. So I should probably give this one to Foley even though I don't want to. I remember as a fifteen year old boy (the worst kind of creature, really), I would die on every single hill. Now I can't even be bothered to climb a hill to join the fight. My only debate tactic left in the arsenal is an apathetic shrug.

"there's equally as many find it strangely soothing"
I want to argue against this but remember my single debate tactic left at my disposal that I mentioned in the previous sentence? I suppose one guy playing acoustic guitar one floor below you is an aggravating and terrible sound that I can't imagine even the worst extrovert appreciating while a combined noise of a large crowd singing and hollering and dancing and fingerbanging simply becomes white noise, like the waves of the ocean in a beachside resort, or the hum of an electric fan. So I guess I agree? *apathetic shrug*

"Racket level runs about the same."
The Palmer House is on State, Wabash, and Monroe. I've looked at enough maps of the location of the Chicago World's Fair to know that I never remember anything from having looked at them. I could look at one again to see exactly where the Palmer House was located (is located! It's still there but it's now a Hilton Hotel) but should I? Of course not! Foley just told me all I need to know! He can hear the Fair about the same as a person staying at a shitty hotel like Packer's Inn (which must be in the meatpacking district, right?!).


No comments:

Post a Comment