Thursday, March 25, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 5: Page 37: Lines 14-17 (596-599)

 "Wild West, African explorers, the usual adventure stuff. But you boys—you're not storybook characters." He had a thought. "Are you?"

* * * * * * * * * *

Thanks for asking at least one tough question, Lew! Here are some others you might consider: What are these kids?! Who's publishing their stories?! How do they have a dog that can read, talk (incomprehensibly to most but the Chums seem to understand him), and loves to fight?! Where are their parents? Does Randolph St. Cosmo think I'm cute? What organization do they work for that basically operates under the "Prime Directive" from Star Trek?

Obviously we, the readers, know they're storybook characters. Even Lew is a storybook character so it's odd that he's asking other storybook characters if they're storybook characters. It's like when I'm in a dream and I ask another person in the dream if they're a dream but, even in the dream, I still hold onto the belief that I'm real. It's also like when I'm not in a dream and I ask another person if they're a dream while I'm still holding onto the belief that I'm real.

I am real. Aren't I?

"He had a thought. 'Are you?'"
How insane does Lew Basnight have to be to seriously think these kids are storybook characters? I mean they are storybook characters so I guess Lew is actually having a major epiphany here and isn't insane at all. He's the only one suddenly seeing clearly! But if I suspend my disbelief and try to forget that this is a storybook I'm reading then Lew totally seems to have lost his mind, right?

I'm so confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment