Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 4: Page 29: Line 76 (448)

 "Last I heard, you'd come to grief down in New Orleans, no doubt from packing away more alligator à l'étouffeé than that old Inconvenience quite had the lift for!"

* * * * * * * * * *

"à l'étouffeé"
Ugh. French! Look at all those accents! I know I can't speak French but now I'm learning I can't read it either?! I suppose if I were one of those people who are, for some weird reason, into cooking as a hobby, I'd probably learn a little French. Those kinds of people see this and probably think, "Oh! I love my alligator prepared that way!" I read this and Google it and think, "They ate strangled alligator?" Then I hit the side of my laptop a few times and mutter, "Is there something wrong with this thing?" Then I give up because like Lady Gaga sings in "Bad Romance": "Je veux ton amour et je veux ta revanche. I don't want to be French! I DON'T WANT TO BE FRENCH! Blah ba la ba roma!"

Does the existence of Lady Gaga presuppose a Laddy Gaga? If Laddy Gaga doesn't exist, I'm calling dibs on the stage name.

"than that old Inconvenience quite had the lift for"
How much strangled alligator can five young lads eat? I think maybe the Professor is being hyperbolic. He's probably making a joke to lighten the mood of having discovered that the Chums of Chance had not been strung up by the Ku Klux Klan.

No comments:

Post a Comment