Saturday, January 16, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 2: Page 16: Line 76 (181)

 As his bantering tone, however, was not unmixed with manly admiration, Randolph chose not to respond to the innuendo with the pique it would otherwise have merited, instead riposting, "I had not been aware that fellows of your years recognized any distinction between the sexes," drawing from Lindsay an appreciative chuckle, before promptly returning to moral seriousness.

* * * * * * * * * *

If Randolph were actually going to meet a girl, his response would probably have been fairly vulgar, detailing exactly the kinds of things he was going to do with that girl that would make Darby weep with jealousy (even at his young age). But his measured and droll insult back at Darby indicates he's got other concerns which require him to dress so formally.

Speaking of the insult, it ranks up there with Lindsay's previous insult about Darby's mother. These boys deliver insults like they're doling out facts to students lacking decent comprehension skills during a University lecture about the nature of the universe.

I feel like a failed writer (I could probably end that sentence there and it would be true! Also, I could replace the word "feel" with "am"!) putting "University" and "universe" in the same sentence. But then I remember John Barth's Giles Goat-Boy and it allows me to think, "I'm practically one of the best writers of my generation!"

I'm really torn about that hall monitor suck-up Lindsay! I hate his need for rules and regulations and his bullying attitude. But I love that he appreciates a really good insult!

No comments:

Post a Comment