Thursday, January 28, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 2: Page 19: Line 167 (272)

 "Well we were over by Mount Etna there back in the spring," Penny said, "and you remember those Garçons de '71, I expect."

* * * * * * * * * *

I don't know where Penny is going with this story but this is a heck of a way to begin it. Doesn't she know the old comic book adage, "Every comic book is somebody's first"? She needs to clear this story up quick because what is she talking about?! Mount Etnas? Spring? Garçons de '71?! I certainly don't remember any of that!

"Mount Etna"
A volcano in Sicily, Italy. But you knew that. The Bindlestiffs visited in April or May. Maybe March. Or June.

"those Garçons de '71"
The boys of 1871! Now my brain is singing at me "After the boys of summer Garçon!" I don't know who the Garçons de '71 are. Probably an aeronautic club. But I don't have to speculate because, like Chick Counterfly, we, the readers, are new to this group. Darby knows this and he'll be explaining this reference so we don't have to do any work trying to figure it out.
    I wish Darby were a character in Gravity's Rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment