Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Chapter 1: Section 2: Page 18: Line 127 (232)

 They found Pugnax up on his feet, clenched and alert, watching the outer darkness intently—from what the boys could tell, poised to launch a massive counter-assault on whatever was now approaching their perimeter.

* * * * * * * * * *

Here's what this description of Pugnax reminds me of:



Oh hey! Scrappy Doo is what I was supposed to picture from the beginning, wasn't it? Pugnax is basically Latin for "Scrappy." He can't talk as well as Scrappy Doo which is what threw me at the beginning. But now we see he can stand up on his back legs and clench his fists in a fighting stance. Sure, Pynchon just says he's "clenched and alert" but I know what he means! The image of Scrappy Doo ready to fight popped directly into my head here!

And since Pugnax doesn't talk very well, I'm sure his howling like a kennelful of dogs was him saying, "Lemme 'at 'im! Lemme 'at 'im! I'll splat 'im! PUPPY POWER!"




No comments:

Post a Comment